Monday, November 14, 2011

.:My neighbor's trash is my treasure:.

Almost a year ago my husband and I saw a neighbor with 2 dressers they were tossing out. Since we have a bunch of kids we decided that, "Of course we need more furniture too!" So we basically garbage picked their dressers before they could get hauled away. I was so excited that the first one got done in the first couple of days that we had it.

Before
After
But after the initial excitement of crafty furniture re-do's, I ran out of steam. So we've had this ratty old dresser/shelf thing in the garage for quite some time. I had begun to think about just putting it on the curb for some other person to pick up with excitement and high hopes of turning it into a treasure of their own. But then I came across this wonderful little website called Pinterest. *happy sigh* This has become my new addiction. If you don't know about it, or even if you do, click on the Pinterest link on the right to check it out.
Back to what I was saying: I was on the brink of giving up on this project when I started seeing other peoples crafty ideas on my favorite website and I got inspired. Everything I saw that I loved I thought, "I can do that!"
And do it I shall.

I pulled out that old dresser and dusted it off. It used to have 4 drawers but the previous owner took out the top two and slapped in a piece of wood as a shelf. If I had done it the quality of wood would have been better and it would have fit perfectly with no gaps. But I can't blame them. Perhaps they just aren't as crafty as I.

This is the way the thing looked when we acquired it.
I had to prime the whole thing to cover up the hideous pink and brown. I decided to just leave it white because I kind of wanted to go for the shabby chic look. Then I was inspired again and decided to go with a pop of color. That color happened to be Tiffany Box blue. This color makes me so happy I hug myself. While I was at Lowes getting my paint mixed up I found the perfect drawer knobs to go with it.
So here is my finished project, almost a year in the making:

Shabby Chic Tiffany Shelf Dresser

No comments: